Improving our integration with KDE application teams, and supporting companies

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Aug 23 23:53:46 BST 2018

El divendres, 24 d’agost de 2018, a les 0:23:29 CEST, Valorie Zimmerman va escriure:
> >>  - are there any circumstances under which KDE e.V. itself should fund
> >> development, by paying developers directly or hiring companies to do so?
>
> IMO the e.V. should be spending money to develop KDE infrastructure --
> the website, both developer and user documentation, and our hardware
> and the sysadmins who care for it. In addition, we need Promo (which
> we now have, and paid and volunteer people happily work together),
> sprints and other meetings, which again I think could use paid staff
> and volunteers working together.

That is unfair for us poor people that want to get a feature implemented by paying.

If you're a rich person (or a company/university/goverment) you can go to a company and say "here 10K€ implement this".

But obviously i don't have 10K€ to spend, but maybe i could convince 1000 people to pitch in 10€, but no company is going to play this game.

For me, this leaves the KDE eV as the ideal place this would happen (yes, there's other places that would be useful for grouping the money, but all those take a percentage cut that i'd prefer noone gets or if a cut has to be taken let the KDE eV take it).

Cheers,
  Albert