Upcoming change to mail infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Jul 3 11:29:41 BST 2018

Hi all,

We've recently completed configuration of a new mail server which will
be replacing the current system which handles kde.org mail. This
system will be assuming responsibility for mailing lists as well as
authenticated mail sending for those who require that service.

To ensure a smooth transition however some changes may be needed on
your side, especially if you are using our authenticated mail sending
service.

As part of the new system, we have configured updated filters which
will begin enforcing DMARC policies for domains which have specified
these, along with improved SPF verification. As a consequence, if you
are forwarding mail from another provider to your kde.org or
kdemail.net address, this may cease working following the transition.
We recommend you configure these services to instead forward directly
to your final mail provider should this impact on you.

For those users of the authenticated mail service: please change your
mail client to use the server "letterbox.kde.org" instead of the
current server "postbox.kde.org". Additionally, if you are currently
using port 588 to send mail, this should now be changed to the
standard submission port, 587.

As part of this setup we have also completely reworked our
SpamAssassin setup. As a consequence of this, we are now looking for
spam mail to begin training the filter to ensure it is ready to begin
filtering the substantial mail volumes Postbox handles.

Mailing list moderators whose lists receive significant quantities of
spam are therefore requested to not discard this, and instead let us
know so we can use the spam from your moderation queue to train the
filter. Please note that we can grab the mail directly from the queue,
so forwarding it elsewhere is not required.

Once the filter has been sufficiently trained, we will commence the
cutover and transfer handling of kde.org mail, including mailing
lists, to the new system.

Should anyone have any questions regarding this process, please let us know.

Regards,
Ben Cooksley
KDE Sysadmin