Fuzzy searching against KDE repositories

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sun May 6 20:50:55 BST 2018

On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 06:04:24PM +0300, Dimitris Kardarakos wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Let me introduce you to a project that I am currently working on.
>
> The scope of the project is to provide an easy way to search KDE code
> and translations repository since I consider that such a kind of an
> infrastructure would help possible newcomers to easily obtain valuable
> information about the work of the community. For example:
>
> To make the long story short, I was thinking that a google-like search
> engine would facilitate onboarding of newcomers to KDE

<snip>

> Do you think that such a tool could help KDE community? I look forward
> to hearing your thoughts, since I am not still convinced if working on
> this would really help the KDE ecosystem.

Dimitris, I personally think this would be very useful.  Potentially to
extend existing solutions like lxr.kde.org, or the custom hacks that I
think a lot of KDE developers or contributors might have behind the
scenes.

I've had to search through commits before and in my case I'd added some
support in kdesrc-build to output basic information about each
repository so that I could automate some of those search... this tool
would have completely eliminated the need for custom scripting on my
end.

As far as other work, if you limit that to just kde-commits mailing list
then services like kde.markmail.org are out there, but I don't think
their search is as powerful or as easy to use as the tooling you're
using on this.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne