Telemetry Policy - Remaining Questions

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sun Apr 1 14:41:36 BST 2018

Hey folks :)

We really need to wrap this up now. We need the data and we need the
policy in place. It's holding us back from learning more about our
users and making our software better. That's not good.

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:
> So, I see the following possible ways forward:
> (1) We accept the policy in its current spirit, and Kexi complies with it (if
> necessary after some transition period).

This would be the ideal way forward and the right thing to do.

> (2) We accept the policy in its current spirit, and Kexi is exempt from it.

As sebas said this is bad communication-wise. But if Kexi can't or
doesn't want to comply that's the next best option.

> (3) We make the policy opt-in, ie. using it merely as an extra quality
> criteria for the applications wanting to follow it.

I don't believe this is an option that's in line with our vision.

> (4) We give up on the idea of regulating telemetry, rolling back on the
> decision from Akademy.

I don't think that's an acceptable option either because we need to
get a better understanding of how our software is used in order to
make it better.

Jaroslav: I think you need to make a choice now for Kexi. We can't let
it sit and hope it goes away ;-)

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors