Opportunity: Promo banners for Kdenlive and Krita

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Thu Mar 8 09:05:34 GMT 2018

On miércoles, 7 de marzo de 2018 21:16:35 (CET) Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 20:38:25 CET Paul Brown wrote:
> > On miércoles, 7 de marzo de 2018 20:08:12 (CET) Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > I'm not him, but I will be going there. The LGM isn't much of an event
> > > for
> > > project banners though, at least the last few times I visited. It's
> > > small-
> > > scale. The focus last times was very much on people doing alternative
> > > high-brow art stuff with free software,
> >
> > But that is fine, no? A sign of maturity. I understand there should be a
> > place where developers should go and compare notes and learn from each
> > other, but an event where you showcase the capabilities of the software
> > and
> > can draw in and end user community must be good.
>
> Ahm... No, that's not what happens, mostly. At least, not last time I
> attended.  You won't find many people who actually produce some art that
> other people would recognize. It's all fun and quite interesting, but it's
> not like people show off what you can do with gimp or krita or inkscape or
> blender -- it's where people show the results of their art academy final
> project or experiments. Check out http://conversations.tools/
>
> I missed quite a few editions, though. It was in places that were too far
> (Rio de Janeiro), or I was too much pre-occupied with keeping going. The
> program for 2018 isn't done yet, and speakers haven't yet had confirmation
> of acceptance.
>
> But it usually is fun, mostly friendly and in any case, it'll be my vacation
> this year.
>
> > What is this event like? Talks? Demos? Booths?
>
> There are talks and workshops, in my experience no booths. No space where
> you'd put up a promo banner, at least, I've never seen those: but I'd still
> want one for Krita!

Absolutely. It is re-usable, so it makes total sense. It would've been good
for FOSDEM, where they had the artist doing the Krita demo. Next year, then.

> LGM is extremely small, actually, and has been shrinking for some time. It's
> not a place where people come to see you present your software project
> (although that does happen, it's not encouraged), rather, everyone is
> supposed to already know about most relevant projects, and there's one
> introductory presentation called the "State of The Libre Graphics Union"
> for which every project can submit some slides, usually presented by a
> gimp/gegl developer.

Okay.

I have just told a faculty member at the School of Fine Arts of Málaga about
the event, and he is going to see if they can organise a trip to Sevilla. They
have also agreed to get in touch with other Fine Art schools from around
Andalucía. If they get their act together, I will contact the organisation and
see if, at least for one year, we can reverse that trend.

> Not that we actually know which event Baptiste was talking about!

True. Interesting conversation nonetheless.

Cheers

Paul
--
Promotion & Communication