Mock-up of revised KDE Store

Scott Harvey bundito at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 14:50:54 GMT 2018

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:

>   - Gosh, it looks all very square and blocky. I think that's because of
> the
> square-and-sharp-cornered K-logo.

I can use the variants of the K-logo without the background, too. That
might improve the overall "square" feeling of the shop. I can also tinker
with the CSS to perhaps add a radius to some of the corners and soften up
the appearance.

>  - It'd be nice if the wallpaper behind the "KDE Store" label somehow
> matched
> the wallpaper background of the whole page.

That can be done. I was just throwing things together with what resources I
had at hand. I'll give it a bump with a matching background.

>  - Perhaps a category "Applications" would work, too, to make some space
> for,
> say, sporting a Falkon t-shirt or drinking from a KWin mug (if KWin has a
> logo).

KWin does have a logo, of sorts. I found the attached image hiding in the
Git repository. Mind you, I've never seen it displayed anywhere, and it's
not all that fascinating, but it proves there's always an option. I'll get
the Falkon logo and render it out. I'll also look through the Breeze icons
and see which ones jump out. The orange-black-cyan "desktop" icon is great,
in my opinion. It's instantly recognizable as part of Plasma.

I should also add the Neon logo. It's pretty spiffy and colorful. I
personally like the "black disc" image for the Developer edition. I set it
as my App Launcher icon.  :-)

Speaking of Plasma, does anyone know if the Plasma logo (dots-and-pointer)
officially has colored dots? I've seen both here and there.

I've yet to reach out to the Visual Design Group for input. Imagery is
their domain, and I'm not a member. I'm just a bit handy with design tools
and know how to configure a Cafe Press store.

As for how to distinguish this from the downloads "store", I would be so
bold as to suggest a link for "Merchandise" on the header of kde.org,
perhaps just before "Donate". And also something on the lower section of
the "Products" page, again labeled "Merchandise".

Thanks for the feedback, [ade]. I'll do some updating today, then I'm off
for a journey to your region of the world, a vacation to Denmark and
Sweden. Hello in advance to any KDE'ers in Copenhagen and Stockholm!

-Scott (became _sharvey_ on IRC and is sharvey on Phab and related places)

​