Proposal for a poll to users about bug triaging

Scott Harvey bundito at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 14:25:24 GMT 2018

As the former manager of an IT help desk (back in the olden days), my input
on some of this. I'm only a junior developer who's offered up a few minor
patches thus far and have done a bit of bug triaging.

We need to back up and remember the definition of the word triage:

(in medical use) the assignment of degrees of urgency to wounds or
> illnesses to decide the order of treatment of a large number of patients or
> casualties.

The former help desk manager in me says that's the key and that's what's
not happening - severity sorting. An ordinary user will be able to help
tell you if a bug can be reproduced, but it'll take someone more
experienced to set the priority. Twenty years ago, I was sorting help desk
tickets for Novell Groupwise and Windows 95. My staff of techs needed to be
told what takes priority. As in, if the company preident's secretary can't
access her email, head to the 6th floor immediately. That person with the
sticky spacebar can tough it out a bit longer.

Those of you who are high-level developers or maintainers are still going
to need to do this. An ordinary user who's "triaging" bugs can only tell
you if they can reproduce a specific problem. It's going to be up to the
gurus to shuffle things by priority. Someone like me, who's maybe more
experienced than some - at age 48 - can help out a bit and retry a problem
scenario, but I don't have the familiarity with the code, the frameworks,
not even C++, to tell you what's top priority and what's not. Sure, if
duplicating a bug brings down my whole system like the bug report says, I'm
going to get someone's attention. But in between that and a minor
annoyance... I can't decide that.

-Scott, graybeard wannabe junior developer