Let's get rid of UNCONFIRMED/CONFIRMED

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Tue Feb 27 14:03:02 GMT 2018

On 27.02.2018 15:45, Paul Brown wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 13:43:17 CET Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 13:30:12 CET Paul Brown wrote:
>>> Is it true that users get confused by the bugtracking system? If so, this
>>> is an issue, right?
>>
>> Well, users can get confused by _everything_.
>
> If a service is confusing for the target it is designed for, then should it
> not be the job of the implementers to change it so it isn't?
>
>> Though I probably have more
>> absolutely non-technical users reporting bugs than most other KDE projects.
>> I haven't seen many signs of users being confused by UNCONFIRMED vs
>> CONFIRMED, though.
>>
>> I'm all for making the initial reporting of bugs as smooth as possible for
>> users... Though really, I don't need any more bug reports.
>
> Are you the only one dealing with bugs?
>
>> And after that,
>> giving me more information when I ask for it, that would be useful as well.
>
> Then maybe think of ways of making that easy to do?
>
>> * It would be useful if users could embed images and videos instead of
>> creating attachments.
>> * It would be useful if users could use rich text in their reports.
>> * It would be useful if users could sign in with their cloud identities
>> (horrible though that idea is).
>> * It would be useful if bugzilla and the forum used the same login.
>> * It would even be useful if we could add badges or something like that to
>> tell the reporter "thank you for your report" with a nice graphic
>
> This ties in well with the onboarding of new contributors project.
>
>> But messing with the statuses that basically define the workflow for the
>> developer because we think that users will feel happier seeing NEW than
>> UNCONFIRMED doesn't sound too useful to me.
>
> Maybe, but whatever the solution, you'd be well-advised to start studying
> carefully what users do now. Otherwise, whatever you try to implement will be
> based on possibly false assumptions and prejudice and will have a higher
> chance of failing.

I don't think it's relevant to ask Boud to start some huge Bugzilla user
experience revamp on top of the things he is already dealing with.
Naming of statuses are in any case the tiniest of problems. The
fortunate fact is that Bugzilla UX is now being improved at a relatively
fast pace: https://twitter.com/BugzillaUX

Bugzilla has been stuck in release limbo for quite some time due to
Mozilla's instance diverging from upstream, but they have a plan to
harmonise everything: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Roadmap

In the upcoming version, rich text can be used in the form of Markdown.
However, it does not support inline images and inline HTML. I am sure
upstream BZ is open to discussion regarding the topic.

Ilmari