KDE receives 200,000 USD-donation from the Pineapple Fund

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Feb 22 11:24:58 GMT 2018

Hi Paul,

please reply to list - not to me in private.

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:39:57 +0100
Paul Brown <paul.brown at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 19 February 2018 11:07:23 CET you wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:36:03 +0100
> >
> > Paul Brown <paul.brown at kde.org> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > As you probably know by now, KDE received an incredibly generous donation
> > > of 200K USD from the Pineapple Fund. We have made this public today.
> > >
> > > You can find the dot article here:
> > >
> > > https://dot.kde.org/2018/02/19/kde-receives-200000-usd-donation-pineapple->
> > >
> > > Social Media links are here:
> > >
> > > https://www.facebook.com/kde/posts/10155596759068918
> > >
> > > https://twitter.com/kdecommunity/status/965514290705952768
> > >
> > > https://mastodon.technology/@kde/99551258536879685
> > >
> > > https://plus.google.com/b/105126786256705328374/+KdeOrg/posts/Qc3AbPegNCE
> > >
> > > https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6371281068858966016
> > >
> > > https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/7ylhg0/
> > > kde_received_200000_from_the_pineapple_fund/
> > >
> > > https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/7ylhd3/
> > > kde_received_200000_from_the_pineapple_fund/
> >
> > some of these links are split into two lines. Please fix it in the future
> > and/or use a url shortener.
>
> Hello Shlomi,
>
> How are you today? I hope you are well.

quite.

> Re. Your message: using URL shorteners is probably a bad idea, for several
> reasons: They force users to move through middlemen they don't
> necessarily know about, leading to subreptitious tracking; make the web
> slower; and can direct users to fake sites. They should be used only when
> strictly necessary.
>
> This means one should try and avoid them as much as possible and only use
> them when there is no other choice,for example, when there is a very little
> space for characters and a full URL would take up all the space.

They can easily be included in addition to the full URLs, which are split.

> As the URLs above, although split, can be easily copy and pasted into the
> address bar on a browser, it is not essential in this case to use shorteners,
> hence I haven't used them.

I have a hard time copying and pasting like that due to a problem with my hand
and depending on that is a huge accessibility and usability problem.

> I could change the line length on my email client, I suppose (at this moment
> I don't know what option that would be, but I am sure it is there somewhere),
> but that would make some lines of text unreadably long; so I prefer not to
> touch that and leave the default.

a decent email client (such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claws_Mail which i
happen to use) should not split URLs into several parts even if they exceed the
message width. If it does, then it is a bug.

> There are trade-offs for every decision, as you can see, and I hope you will
> excuse me for using the ones I have chosen, and still help us out with the
> promotion of KDE news.

I already retweeted the twitter link, but won't bother with the split urls.

Regards,

	Shlomi