KDE receives 200,000 USD-donation from the Pineapple Fund

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 11:41:12 GMT 2018

On Thursday, 22 February 2018 12:24:58 CET Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi Paul,

Hello again Shlomi,

> please reply to list - not to me in private.

I received your message as a private message, so I answered in kind.

> > > Hi all!
> > ><snip>
> > >
> > > some of these links are split into two lines. Please fix it in the
> > > future
> > > and/or use a url shortener.
> >
> > Hello Shlomi,
> >
> > How are you today? I hope you are well.
>
> quite.
>
> > Re. Your message: using URL shorteners is probably a bad idea, for several
> > reasons: They force users to move through middlemen they don't
> > necessarily know about, leading to subreptitious tracking; make the web
> > slower; and can direct users to fake sites. They should be used only when
> > strictly necessary.
> >
> > This means one should try and avoid them as much as possible and only use
> > them when there is no other choice,for example, when there is a very
> > little
> > space for characters and a full URL would take up all the space.
>
> They can easily be included in addition to the full URLs, which are split.

Sure. Unfortunately, I usually am on a tight schedule as it is. If you would
like to spend time passing all the links we produce through a shortener, join
the promo group and you can get cracking! It is a collaborative effort.

> > As the URLs above, although split, can be easily copy and pasted into the
> > address bar on a browser, it is not essential in this case to use
> > shorteners, hence I haven't used them.
>
> I have a hard time copying and pasting like that due to a problem with my
> hand and depending on that is a huge accessibility and usability problem.

Maybe talk to the Kmail developers about that. I am not one of them.

> > I could change the line length on my email client, I suppose (at this
> > moment I don't know what option that would be, but I am sure it is there
> > somewhere), but that would make some lines of text unreadably long; so I
> > prefer not to touch that and leave the default.
>
> a decent email client (such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claws_Mail
> which i happen to use) should not split URLs into several parts even if
> they exceed the message width. If it does, then it is a bug.

Then you should submit a bug report to the Kmail developers. I am not one of
them.

> > There are trade-offs for every decision, as you can see, and I hope you
> > will excuse me for using the ones I have chosen, and still help us out
> > with the promotion of KDE news.
>
> I already retweeted the twitter link, but won't bother with the split urls.

That's much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul
--