Volunteering to update the KDE Cafe Press Meta-Store

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Feb 15 11:10:12 GMT 2018

Hi Scott,

On Thursday, 15 February 2018 05:15:12 CET Scott Harvey wrote:
> I sent a similar message to the Community Working Group a few days ago, but
> I think that might have been a little too high-level.

Not so much high-level as probably the wrong bunch. The CWG is our group of
tough community standards enforcers and kindly grandma's. Their remit is not
one for the store. The kde-promo working group might have been a better bunch.

But the community is the *best* place to suggest this, so you've come to the
right place.

<snip>
> create and update a Cafe Press store. I've done several, for groups of
> people taking a cruise together, for my own meager design work, etc. I'm
> pretty familiar with how the site works.
>
> As it stands now, the KDE store is a little sparse. We need to have the
> blue K-Gear and Plasma icon available on everything from mousepads to
> t-shirts to stickers for our laptops. I'm willing to put in the time to get
> those products set up on Cafe Press. Plus, whatever markup is charged can

Just last week I sent a message to this list about revitalizing KDE's
stickers. Or maybe I thought about sending it, and didn't :S

Getting merchandise right covers a few kinds of products:
 - stickers (lightweight, easy to move around, everyone wants them)
 - t-shirts and hoodies (bulky and annoying, but popular)
 - gadgets and gewgaws

CafePress can do all of those, and slapping the KDE logo on everything is
quite straightforward. Medium-term, we should do better than that. We have
some t-shirt designs kicking around, like the Akademy T-shirts we do each
year, and the KDE India shirt is a perennial popular item.  So working towards
more designs, or more item-suitable designs, is something that can be done.
The Visual Design Group (VDG) is our group of tough pixel-wrangling designers
and kindly grandma's. That's typically where we would turn to develop some
visuals for products.

A decent CafePress store could satisfy the (latent) desire for merchandise.

Somewhat independently we have the whole merchandise-for-events problem.
Getting stickers and t-shirts to events is always a logistical problem, so
much so that it is generally worth finding a local supplier. CafePress has
decent global logistics, though, so it might -- just might -- make a
difference if we, say, need 240 t-shirts in Vienna in August.

> What do you think? Is this a worthwhile goal? I don't work, so I've got the
> time. Heck, I'd probably buy a coffee mug for myself.

Well, *I* think it's a worthwhile goal.

Heck, just a decent clear-hard-plastic KDE coffee mug could be a nice thing to
have (as an environmental statement?) at an event. We had them at some Akademy
(Mechelen?), years ago, lasted for years.

[ade]