FOSDEM retrospective

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Feb 5 19:44:23 GMT 2018

On Monday, 5 February 2018 20:29:34 CET Adriaan de Groot wrote:
>  - The live art demo of Krita on Saturday was *amazing*. The artist was kind
> of hidden behind the monitor, not everyone understood that it was live
> sketching.

Yes, that got lots of really nice reactions, including a guy accosting me,
saying, "But, but, but -- is this a free software _painting_ application? I've
been looking for one for over five years!" The actual subject of the painting
was tied-in to a meme that was doing the rounds that weekend, with Krita being
Lawful Good.

> # The what can be improved
>
>  - Sticker situation (there are other messages about that, too). I remain
> envious of GNOME's sticker selection.

Let's engage with our community here. It's not that expensive to produce
stickers, and we could do with some different designs. Konqui, Katie, Kiki, or
even laptop cover stickers with the kiki as a paladin + fire-breathing konqui
Wolthera did live, this year :-)

>  - Stickers, T-shirts maybe (I do prefer to be a tech stand)

I kind of got the feeling that some stands -- gnome, fsfe -- were just there
to sell t-shirts, not to tell people about their projects.

>  - We should have had a plan on what to show on the screens of the desktop
> and laptop machines at the booth. A movie with recent features / neat stuff
> would have been a good addition.

Yes, indeed. There are people in our community who can produce that kind of
stuff -- leinir, for one! And a good show-reel will draw in people.

> Some more applications with actual content
> would have been nice (like Krita).

My spiel was, like, you know KDE? Well, we're a community making awesome
stuff. A desktop, sure, and a video editor, and an ide, and a painting
application and so on.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org