Input on privacy goal

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Fri Jan 19 17:58:19 GMT 2018

Hey,

> > Here are some thoughts on threat models for this, as a possible way to
> > better capture what we want to achieve.
> >
> > (1) Public Wifi
> >
> > Assume anyone can see your Wifi network traffic (e.g. via recent
> > vulnerabilities in WPA2). Using your device in such an environment should
> > be safe and not compromise your privacy any more compared to using a
> > wired network at home.
> >
> > Possible counter-measures: Encrypted communication, VPN.
>
> Since (I think) iOS 10, the Wi-Fi configuration gives pretty loud warnings
> if you connect to an unsecured Wi-Fi network. Perhaps the Plasma
> NetworkManager applet needs similar UI improvements in that area.

just to mark all non encrypted Wifi as insecure and mark everything with WPA2
as secure is too simple. The most bars I now have also a WPA2 secured Wifi,
you the the password by asking are looking into the papers laying around. But
I never would trust those encrypted Wifis. Everyone you have the password can
see my traffic, and as those bars never changing their password... I would
like to see a way to tell the computer "kontact and owncloud-client should
only be active for my home by default". Otherwise ask me, if they should go
online. And at second level it would be nice to say, if I'm not at my home
connection kontact should use this VPN to connect...

sandro