Looking for mentor for new KDE developer

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 23:37:13 GMT 2018

Hi, adding kde-community as this is actually a community matter as well as
a -devel issue.

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El dilluns, 8 de gener de 2018, a les 0:07:00 CET, Albert Astals Cid va
> escriure:
> > El dilluns, 8 de gener de 2018, a les 8:15:54 CET, Ben Cooksley va
> escriure:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Just following up on this - is there anyone who is looking into
> > > helping Christian here?
> >
> > I don't understand why we're forcing this "he needs a mentor". As Dominik
> > says, he seems to know stuff since he actually ported the code.
> >
> > If he needs help with "kde bureaucracy stuff" it means that we actually
> need
> > to improve our onboarding documentation, so instead of giving him someone
> > he can ask things in private, we should try to improve that
> documentation,
> > or at least answer the questions in this list so they are public and can
> be
> > referenced in the future.

So this new contributor would be a *perfect* person to point out kinks in
our onboarding documentation. For instance, that it is hard to find, where
it is incomplete or out-of-date. In line with our new push (
https://phabricator.kde.org/T7116) please Albert if you are going to
mentor, gently push for that while the pain is still fresh for our new
contributor.

All other mentors, formal or informal, please also help out here.
Old-timers already know some or all, so are not as helpful in finding those
pain-points. For those, beginners have the super-powers we need!

> > I will be happy to answer any question he may have related to that (and
> > hopèfully I know the question)
> >
> > Regarding the "In addition, translations would need to be imported into
> our
> > infrastructure, or recovered from our SVN history. That needs
> intervention
> > by our i18n experts, possibly before the code is imported." that Nicolás
> > mentioned, yes, that needs the i18n team helping, but that's what the
> kde-
> > i18n-doc mailing list is for, unless the mentor was part of the i18n team
> > that wouldn't get solved anyway.
>
> P.S: I guess that was my long way of saying "i can be his mentor if we
> really
> need to write someone elses name in the 'who to blame if he screws up'
> list".
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert
>

> > Cheers,