Telemetry Policy - Remaining Questions

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Oct 31 10:04:36 GMT 2017

On Monday, 30 October 2017 11:27:58 CET Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 30 October 2017 at 09:56, Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:
> > Let's try to finally get this finished :)
> >
> > The only remaining blocker is the unique identification used by Kexi.
> > There was some discussion about this around QtWS, and it seemed like
> > there was consensus on having a strong policy on this topic would be a
> > good thing for KDE, as opposed to e.g. turning this into just
> > recommendations, or opening it up to unique identification. The suggested
> > solution for Kexi was to add a special exception for it to the "These
> > rules apply to all products released by KDE." statement of the policy.
> >
> > That would still leave us with a strong policy on this subject, while
> > solving the conflict with Kexi's current way of collecting telemetry.
> > Would that work for everyone?
>
> Hello
> Thanks for pushing this forward Volker.
> In the meantime I got an inspired idea to behave no different than KDE
> web browsers do with unique cookies e.g. wrt the KDE Identity
> accounts.
> Namely there would be zero logic for IDs in Kexi itself but a cookie
> feature with its standard behavior. As it's the case, it's opt-in.
> For now I hope this is technically feasible and the result equivalent
> of the previous solution if not even more flexible.
> I would appreciate pointing flaws in my assumption. Timeline for that
> can be connected to development of sign-in features.
>
> Unless there is desire to discuss exceptions for a range of KDE
> software that implements client side for web technologies maybe there
> is no need for adding specific exception for Kexi or having it
> communicated by Kexi itself.

We can obviously drop the exception as soon as it's no longer necessary. I'm
not sure I fully understand the proposed implementation, but I do see local
storage (via cookies or otherwise) as a way to address some of the unique
identification use-cases, such as aggregating data from the same user.

The comparison to KDE Identity is a bit confusing though, as the objective of
that is unique identification for authorizing access, which inherently conflicts
with anonymity.

> I'd like to also mention apparent lack of clarity for the outside user
> wrt what "products released by KDE" mean. What are the defaults in
> deployed software is a decision of those who deploy the software;
> legal modifications are allright. KDE "only" releases the source code.
> So I would not place such a stamp "These rules apply to all products
> released by KDE" e.g. in About boxes because this has low info value
> for the actual user or can truly confuse.
> I am mentioning this here to emphasize that I see telemetry more as a
> part of the software deployment and support, not a part of the actual
> "source code product". Decoupling any logic from the source code is
> part of that.

Right, we cannot ultimately enforce this due to the free software licenses.
While we can only ask external distributors to follow the same rules, we are
also a distributor in a number of cases (Windows, Android, Linux app bundles,
Neon, etc), and can apply the rules there too.

I agree that there is a communication/marketing aspect to this as well, and a
policy document is not the right tool for that, especially when things get
complicated.

Regards,
Volker