Telemetry Policy - Remaining Questions

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 06:54:48 BST 2017

> On Friday, 15 September 2017 05:23:44 CEST Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
>> From Mozilla documentation: "So when you say '63% of beta 53 has
>> Firefox set as its default browser', make sure you specify it is 63%
>> of *pings*, since it is only around 46% of clients. (Apparently users
>> with Firefox Beta 53 set as their default browser submit more
>> main-pings than users who don't)."
>
> That is something else though, that's the participation ratio on opt-in.
> Measuring that and determining its bias on the submitted data is indeed a
> challenge, but I don't see how unique ids help with that?

It has nothing to do with participation ratio; Firefox betas have
opt-out telemetry.

63% of Firefox Beta 53 telemetry records (which Mozilla calls "pings")
say it was set as the default browser. If you deduplicate using client
ID, it turns out 46% of distinct Firefox Beta 53 clients had it set as
the default browser. Thus, for some reason users who set it as the
default browser send a more frequent telemetry than those who didn't,
perhaps because they use the browser more.

--
Nicolás