Telemetry Policy - Remaining Questions

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 04:23:44 BST 2017

> El dijous, 14 de setembre de 2017, a les 0:20:57 CEST, Volker Krause va
> escriure:
>> The following questions were left unanswered in the previous thread (see
>> there for the full arguments if needed):
>>
>> (1) Should we allow opt-in tracking of unique identifiers?
>>
>> This was requested by Jaroslaw, as Kexi has this right now and the policy as
>> written right now would thus conflict with it.
>
> I missed this, what's the usecase of unique id data?

Without a unique ID, each time the app sends telemetry, the record is
independent and not correlated to previous records. Generating a
random "client ID" and persisting it in some file in $HOME, and
including it in the uploaded data, lets you calculate statistics per
client, which is more useful than per telemetry record.

It's hard to know how what percentage of users users have a setting
enabled if we don't have a client ID, since some users may send more
telemetry reports than others (for multiple reasons, including using
the app more often). If we have one, we can avoid double-counting
multiple reports from the same client.

>From Mozilla documentation: "So when you say '63% of beta 53 has
Firefox set as its default browser', make sure you specify it is 63%
of *pings*, since it is only around 46% of clients. (Apparently users
with Firefox Beta 53 set as their default browser submit more
main-pings than users who don't)."

--
Nicolás