Goal: Actively teaching the people how to work with Plasma/linux and FOSS, and turning them into power-users.

chfan z. chfanzil at outlook.com
Thu Sep 7 19:21:58 BST 2017

Dear members of KDE community,
I'm delighted to introduce my Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal for KDE.

Intro - The Power of the Power-User
===================================
Have you helped people you know use GNU/linux or Plasma/linux or FOSS software?
How many people who are close to you, are counting on your help and your advice when it comes to computers or to the use of Plasma/linux?

When the average users have a problem, they turn to the power-user, when the average users want an advice, they turn to the power-user, and when the average users want to install an OS, they turn again to the power-user, on which they count and to whose advice they listen.

This is why the power to change the opinions of friend and relatives (in the domain of technology), is at the hands of the power-user.

Power-users are the keystone, the foundation, in our case even the root, for the future growth of both our community and our platform. The power-user is the next step in the life cycle of technology adoption. And we want our technology and ideals to be adopted.

Our Goal - Creating more Plasma/Linux Power-Users
To succeed in our goal, we must find better ways to make it easier for people to be able to use Plasma/linux (The Technical aspect) and also better ways to persuade them that this is the right choice for them (The Ideological aspect).

The basics of the proposal is holding courses in schools/universities/colleges/community centers/libraries/etc., by members of our community that will instruct and guide people on how to use Plasma/linux and also teach them about the ideals and values of FOSS. The courses will be long enough to immerse the people in Plasma/linux and the KDE community.
We will use the decentralized nature of our community in order to interact with people all around the world, and turn them into power-users that will be good ambassadors of KDE and FOSS. They will also be able to help spread our values in their families and their communities and in the companies they work for.

The proposal itself is much more elaborate. It reviews the Technical aspect and the Ideological aspect of the courses and their importance, as well as the psychological aspects that must be addressed in order to encourage someone to take an action and join us.
I suggest you read it. Support it. Improve it.

More power-users - More simple users!

The goal's proposal:
====================
https://phabricator.kde.org/T6875

Further reading:
_Adoption of new technology_
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_adopter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_adoption_life_cycle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_leadership

Your feedback and ideas are most welcomed :)
Thank you!
chfanzil