phab reviews

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Fri Aug 25 09:59:36 BST 2017

Hola!

Our phabricator guide says that at least one person needs to be set as
reviewer to get any review.
https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/Phabricator#Posting_a_Patch

This sucks.

For one it makes it hard to keep on top of reviews across all our software.
More importantly though, how exactly do we expect a drive-by
contributor to figure this out? I work in the community for years and
yet often enough struggle to find a relevant person to set as
reviewer.  Not just figuring out their name on phab, but even finding
out who is relevant in the context of the repo. There are projects who
have no real prominent head so looking at the git log basically gives
you a bunch of drive-by commits.

Can we improve this somehow?

Not particularly enjoyable but working solutions I have in mind:

a) establish phab team of volunteers to get spammed by all reviews (or
more ideally reviews without reviewer set) and then either sort out
the best reviewer or review it themself

b) perhaps more scalable: no automatic subscription of the team but we
change the wiki to tell the submitter to use the aforementioned team
as reviewer when he doesn't know any better person

HS