Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Privacy Software

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Aug 21 22:09:38 BST 2017

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 21:58:32 +0200
Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:

> On 2017 M08 18, Fri 18:14:22 CEST Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > "In 5 years, KDE software enables and promotes privacy"
>
>  ... does that kind of imply that we need to offer a range of
> applications which cover the most privacy-sensitive topics, e.g. a
> competetive web browser ?

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, our goal should be realistic,
and I don't think "offering our own competitive web browser" ticks that
box. We've been there, we've done that, we succeeded to some degree in
the most spectacular way (think where KHTML successors are shipped and
what they brought to the eco system) and failed in other dimensions
(think about the state of KHTML and our own web browser offering
nowadays).

What's probably a lot more realistic and worthwhile is
to we make integration for web browsers that do respect privacy work
really well. Integrating Tor really well would also be a good idea in
that regard.
--
sebas

    http://vizZzion.org   ⦿    http://www.kde.org