Telemetry Policy

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Thu Aug 17 17:20:16 BST 2017

> On 17. Aug 2017, at 17:38, Mirko Boehm - KDE <mirko at kde.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 17. Aug 2017, at 01:46, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org <mailto:thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Valorie,
>> Even if opt-out for some data is legally and even morally fine, it does not
>> align with the values we communicate to our users:
>> Unlike Mozilla's Mission, our Vision mentions privacy explicitly, and we're
>> striving to make privacy our USP.
>
> We seem to assume a contradiction between telemetry and privacy. I believe this is a knee-jerk reaction. We can implement telemetry in a way that privacy is not violated. In fact, I would say that it follows from our vision that we should do this.

The problem is: I expect users to have the same knee-jerk reaction. I don’t see us being able to explain to users that actually their privacy is perfectly safe before they freak out.
Privacy-minded Free Software users have freaked out in the past over things which objectively speaking were not a huge deal.
It’s emotion more than rational arguments