Telemetry Policy

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 08:33:02 BST 2017

Hi all, Mozilla has done a lot of work on telemetry, and we might be
able to use some of their findings. On this page:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Data_Collection they break down the
data they might possibly collect into four buckets - technical (such
as crashes), user interaction, web activity, and sensitive (personal
data).

This bit might be relevant to our discussion: "Categories 1 & 2
(Technical & Interaction data)
Pre-Release & Release: Data may default on, provided the data is
exclusively in these categories (it cannot be in any other category).
In Release, an opt-out must be available for most types of Technical
and Interaction data. "

I think the entire page might be enlightening to this discussion. I
believe our analysis of needs should be more fine-grained, and that
some parts of what we need can be "default on" especially for
pre-release testing. For releases, we can provide an opt-out.

Other more sensitive data will need to be opt-in. I think it's a
mistake to treat all the data we might want all in the same way.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez