Telemetry Policy

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Aug 14 21:40:28 BST 2017

On Monday 14 August 2017 19:28:06 Volker Krause wrote:
> On Monday, 14 August 2017 14:16:12 CEST Bhushan Shah wrote:
> > Can we have policy on how long we can store data? It's just random
> > idea but I think it makes sense to tell users that after X period
> > of time your data will be invalidated?
> >
> > This gives the "part-solution" to problem where user wants to delete
> > their shared data.
>
> Good point. I'm unsure on what to pick as a suitable timeframe though.
> It's hard to give a specific time right now, we don't know yet how
> quickly updates of our software are deployed, which is what is going
> to determine the latency of getting the data we want. For that
> question alone we are looking at years I think. Maybe this could be
> worded as "data is only kept as long as the purpose of the data
> collection hasn't been achieved yet", ie. as soon as we have the
> answer we were looking for we delete the raw data.

For most purposes (e.g. which parts of the software are used how often)
it should be possible to aggregate the raw data monthly and then throw
away the raw data.

> The bigger problem however is that this conflicts with publishing the
> data under a free license. At this point we lose any control to
> enforce data retention limits.

With respect to the considerations to make the collected raw data public
I ask you to contact a data protection officer
(Datenschutzbeauftragte/r) to get her/his opinion. Quoting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation: "Valid
consent must be explicit for data collected and the purposes data is
used for (Article 7; defined in Article 4)." Since you cannot state the
purposes the data is used for (because once made public it could be used
for any purpose), I cannot see how you could get the users' consent for
this.

Regards,
Ingo