Telemetry Policy

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Aug 14 13:17:16 BST 2017

On Sunday, 13 August 2017 12:56:27 CEST Martin Flöser wrote:
> Am 2017-08-13 11:47, schrieb Volker Krause:
> > Hi,
> >
> > during the KUserFeedback BoF at Akademy there was quite some interest
> > in
> > collecting telemetry data in KDE applications. But before actually
> > implementing that we agreed to define the rules under which we would
> > want to
> > do that. I've tried to put the input we collected during Akademy into
> > proper
> > wording below. What do you think? Did I miss anything?
>
> To me it looks good!
>
> I have some additional requests:
>   * the collected data must be made available to the public (mostly
> thinking of research institutes here)

This has come up before, not in the context of 3rd parties like research
organisations, but for transparency towards our users.

There is a practical limitation of making raw data available live, as that
would create a publicly readable and writable system, with similar abuse
potential as e.g. pastebin. But I don't think that is the requirement you have
in mind here, it's more about sharing the raw data after review/eventually,
right?

In the currently envisioned setup anyone with a KDE contributor account would
have access, so the remaining questions would be about the practicalities and
processes to review and release the data to the general public I think.

>   * data must be made available under a CC license (CC0?)

Interesting point, I hadn't thought about that yet :) Can we even license the
data, as we didn't create it? Do we need to ask our users to license their
telemetry contributions?

>   * maybe allow the user to delete the dataset again (difficult as that
> conflicts with making the data public and would require authentication
> which is the opposite to anonymity).

As discussed on kde-core-devel a while ago, I think this would be doable
technically, without compromising anonymity. The server would generate a
unique unpredictable token for each submitted sample and return that to the
client. The client collects those and can use them as part of a deletion
request.

However, this does only work as long as we have full control over the data, we
can't recall data that has already been extracted from our systems. So I think
this conflicts with the first two requirements you mentioned. How do we want to
resolve that?

Regards,
Volker