Telemetry Policy

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Aug 14 12:40:41 BST 2017

I agree on the proposed wording changes, so focusing on your technical points
below.

On Monday, 14 August 2017 11:53:17 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> I've got two technical notes here:
>
> 1) All products should fetch details on where to submit telemetry data
> from an online configuration file similar to
> https://autoconfig.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml
>
> This would give us the capacity to version the telemetry server api,
> and potentially even "kill" telemetry submissions from older
> application versions if needed.
>
> 2) No software product should use the QNetworkAccessManager family of
> classes due to known defects in it's operation within some versions of
> Qt which cause infrastructure problems.

The current implementation uses QNAM, but actually has code to handle HTTP
redirects correctly (with unit test coverage), I assume that's the issue you
are referring to? This also has been tested all the way back to Qt4.8 as part
of the existing deployment in GammaRay.

I don't mind adding the extra indirection with the configuration file, although
just from the XML I don't see yet what that would provide beyond HTTP
redirects. Are there certain information (e.g. the app version) passed already
as part of the request for the configuration file? Or can there be conditional
aspects not currently present in the above example?

Regards,
Volker