Telemetry Policy

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Aug 13 15:30:59 BST 2017

Hi Volker et al.

On Sonntag, 13. August 2017 11:47:28 CEST Volker Krause wrote:

> Hi,
>
> during the KUserFeedback BoF at Akademy there was quite some interest in
> collecting telemetry data in KDE applications. But before actually
> implementing that we agreed to define the rules under which we would want to
> do that. I've tried to put the input we collected during Akademy into
> proper wording below. What do you think? Did I miss anything?

Very good. I follow the discussion about KUserFeedback from the beginning and
representing the KDE application dealing with the personal finances this is a
very delicate topic for our application.

The details of the policy are very well layed out and written with the user
and his control over data and device in mind. This is where some for-profits
are able to learn a thing or two from us.

Despite the fact that the data should be aggregated, anonymized as much as
possible on the source deveice, I think it would make sense to guarantee an
encrypted transfer of the raw records from the user's computer to the KDE
infra. What do you think?

Keep going. This is wonderful.

--

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

https://www.telegram.org/       Telegram, the better WhatsApp
The only 'intuitive' interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.
 -- Bruce Ediger, bediger at teal.csn.org, on X interfaces