radical proposal: move IRC to Rocket.Chat

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Fri Aug 11 06:06:02 BST 2017

Il 10 agosto 2017 22:22:04 EEST, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org> ha scritto:
>On Donnerstag, 10. August 2017 20:38:11 CEST Christian Loosli wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 10. August 2017, 20:31:22 CEST schrieb Thomas
>Pfeiffer:
>Riddell:
>> > > >

>https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/projects/msg02257.html

>fragmentation would

>as some
>> >
>> > Who ignored the possibility of bridges?
>>
>> Why are we still discussing, then? As I pointed out twice: bridges
>not only
>> exist, but they are already in place. So unless people want to get
>rid of
>> IRC (or one of the other protocols, for that), it is pointless to
>discuss
>> which client/protocol to take, since it already either is bridged or
>not
>> bridgeable yet, but soon to be.
>> And then the answer is clearly  "IRC plus bridge", and both this
>whole
>> thread and the etherpad can be abandoned.
>
>Erm... no. IRC is a "legacy option" for people who don't want to use
>other
>protocols for whatever reason. That is perfectly fine for them, that's
>why
>we're keeping it.
>
>However, if the people who _do_ want to use something more modern end
>up using
>10 different things, then the benefits are practically non-existent.
>Most of
>the nice features of modern protocols work only among those who use the
>same
>one.
>
>Therefore, to get any benefit, we, the people who want something
>modern, have
>to agree on one thing. You, the old-school IRC lovers, can feel free to
>
>completely ignore us while we search for something that checks all our
>requirements, we bridge it to IRC, everybody is happy.
>Does that sound like a plan?

I'm glad that this is the idea. But let me point out that in your original proposalof requirements:

https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2017q3/003693.html

the bridges are in the section "Nice-to-haves" and not "Must-have". I also find the description a bit too much on the negative side:

"For the transitional period or for people who just refuse to change their habits"

This is one of the reasons why there seems to be a "ditch IRC" idea. Happy to hear that it's not the general feeling.

Also:

>I, for one, did not chime into this discussion because I wanted to get
>rid of
>IRC. I chimed in because I got the impression from some of the replies
>that
>there would be no need to use anything other than IRC, because it has
>everything we need.
>I still strongly disagree with that.

My impression is that everyone who advocated for IRC is saying: as long as it is bridged and functional I don't care about what other technologies can be used to access it, while I may disagree on the definition of obsolete.

--
Luigi