radical proposal: move IRC to Rocket.Chat

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Aug 10 21:18:12 BST 2017

On August 11, 2017 4:22:04 AM GMT+09:00, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org> wrote:
>On Donnerstag, 10. August 2017 20:38:11 CEST Christian Loosli wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 10. August 2017, 20:31:22 CEST schrieb Thomas
>Pfeiffer:
>Riddell:
>> > > >

>https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/projects/msg02257.html

>fragmentation would

>as some
>> >
>> > Who ignored the possibility of bridges?
>>
>> Why are we still discussing, then? As I pointed out twice: bridges
>not only
>> exist, but they are already in place. So unless people want to get
>rid of
>> IRC (or one of the other protocols, for that), it is pointless to
>discuss
>> which client/protocol to take, since it already either is bridged or
>not
>> bridgeable yet, but soon to be.
>> And then the answer is clearly  "IRC plus bridge", and both this
>whole
>> thread and the etherpad can be abandoned.
>
>Erm... no. IRC is a "legacy option" for people who don't want to use
>other
>protocols for whatever reason. That is perfectly fine for them, that's
>why
>we're keeping it.
>
>However, if the people who _do_ want to use something more modern end
>up using
>10 different things, then the benefits are practically non-existent.
>Most of
>the nice features of modern protocols work only among those who use the
>same
>one.
>
>Therefore, to get any benefit, we, the people who want something
>modern, have
>to agree on one thing. You, the old-school IRC lovers, can feel free to
>
>completely ignore us while we search for something that checks all our
>requirements, we bridge it to IRC, everybody is happy.
>Does that sound like a plan?
>
>> > Where does Martin Steigerwald's impression come from that people
>want to
>> > make this an "either/or decision"?
>> >
>> > The only person who seems to want to get rid of IRC is Jonathan,
>>
>> Okay, this is a qft moment.  How can you possibly write "where does
>$person
>> impression come from that people want to make this an either/or
>decision"
>> when you write, at the very next line, that for someone, the thread
>starter
>> to be precise, it is?
>
>Jonathan Riddell. Singular. One guy. Not "people".
>
>> > I never said that. Martin Klapetek never said that.
>> > Yes, we both think that IRC is not suitable as the _only_ chat tool
>for a
>> > community in 2017.
>>
>> I never pointed fingers at you. I said that some people seem to see
>it as an
>> either/or, which you agree with, and that people seem to ignore that
> [...]

I'm very much frustrated by the use of "protocols".

Rocket.Chat for example is not a protocol. There's no spec for servers and clients to follow, no governance model for that spec, no stability guarantees. It's entirely implementation-defined. Which is meh.

Of the contenders discussed so far, Matrix is a protocol. And it even supports federation properly. It doesn't create walled gardens.

Cheers,
Eike
--
Plasma, apps developer