How about an inclusive "and" approach instead of fighting IRC versus something new? (was: Re: Collecting requirements for a KDE-wide instant messaging solution)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Aug 10 18:12:04 BST 2017

Martin Klapetek - 10.08.17, 12:34:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de>
> wrote:
> > Martin Klapetek - 09.08.17, 16:12:
> > >
> > > Yes. Old contributors will slowly fade away for various
> > > reasons, be it life, be it lack of energy, be it other commitments.
> > > Who's going to pick all those projects up after them? I'd like
> > > to think that young enthusiasts with lots of energy and potential,
> > > exactly what those heroes starting the original KDE were.
> > > And I think we should strive to attract younger talent that can
> > > be in it for the long run.
> >
> > Well, I wonder since reading several posts here about one thing:
> >
> > To from reading this post and other posts I got the impression that is
> > absolutely needs to be black or white:
> >
> > *Either* IRC and nothing else *or* something new and nothing else.
> >
> > Seriously?
> >
> > I mean: Seriously?
> >

> > There has been almost completely unnoticed posts mentioning bridges. Is
> > none
> > of this bridges capable to work well enough for KDE community use cases?
> >
> > Why do you see the need to exclude either one of the groups?
>
> As you're quoting my email - where are you reading this?
> That's not what I wrote at. all. I merely stated that we should
> cater to younger engineers. Not once I suggested and will not
> suggest to disregard the old timers. That was twisted in replies
> following my email.

Martin, I noted a general impression I got from the thread.

You are right, you didn´t write that.

This either/or approach is what in my perception was in this thread since
quite a while… probably not (always) explicitely written out… but between the
lines.

It might have been wiser to choose a different post – or even just don´t quote
any post at all –  to reply to with this.

Sorry.

Martin
--
Martin