github, phabricator: a new threadZ

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed Aug 9 12:50:46 BST 2017

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
>
>> This is a new thread entirely, but incidentally also something we
>> should also think about. Why many KDE developers choose github instead
>> of scratch KDE repositories to start new software, where it could
>> happily be hosted within KDE infrastructure?
>
> Our infra doesn't offer scratch repos anymore, does it?

It does, they were slated for removal with the transition to phab,
since that hasn't happend yet though I assume scratch repos are still
a thing. Albeit, a thing that is meant to be removed with (currently)
no replacement planned which is why for example I do not create any
new ones and instead use github. Although TBH the UX of creating a
scratch has also left me wanting as it entails me googling how to
setup a scratch every single time.

HS