Collecting requirements for a KDE-wide instant messaging solution (was: Re: radical proposal: move IRC to Rocket.Chat)

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Wed Aug 9 10:27:58 BST 2017

> On 09 Aug 2017, at 09:57, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:
>
> Can we please keep this thread limited to collecting-requirements, and
> therefore arguing over which requirements are required or what their weight
> is? That, rather than re-hashing the discussion elsewhere on which platform
> with which sub- and superset of features is popular in which location.

You are right, inviting people to challenge my proposals right away wasn’t such a good idea in hindsight.

Furthermore, this sub-thread has reminded me again that while email is great for having permanently and publicly archived discussions, it is terrible for collecting information (any chat protocol would be equally terrible for that, of course) because contributions by different people tend to become spread over multiple emails.

So to fix this as well as to keep information gathering separate from discussion, let’s do the former in a format that makes more sense for it:

https://notes.kde.org/p/KDE_IM_requirements

Once we’ve agreed on a list (if we ever do), it could make sense to move that to the Community wiki for searchability and everything, but for brainstorming Etherpad usually works better.