latest draft for mission (and strategy)

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jul 7 06:12:18 BST 2017

Hello,

On Thursday, 6 July 2017 21:27:52 CEST Clemens Toennies wrote:
> Am 06.07.2017 um 07:30 schrieb Kevin Ottens:
> > Hello, > > On Thursday, 6 July 2017 01:19:00 CEST Clemens Toennies wrote:
> > >>
> More like "Practical Freedom"? >> The KDE community imo shouldnt be
> about "technicalities", thats up to >> how each project tries to
> contribute or work towards that ultimate goal >> that is freedom. >>
> Wiki2Learn for example really doesnt fit privacy, but can help with >>
> Freedom on various levels. > > Sorry, that's still way too broad and
> tries to be all encompassing. My point > in this thread is we shouldn't
> do that to give a direction.
>
> I like to disagree here.
> My thinking was to define an over-arching goal as  common vision/mission
> and then focus on particular sub-goal for a limited timeframe that works
> towards that goal for some, but maybe not all projects, like e.g. privacy.

Well, this is pretty much what I'm proposing IMO. The Vision and Mission
statements as we have them now are over-arching, and setting a strategic
direction ofr a few years is a sub-goal for a limited timeframe which doesn't
necessarily apply to all projects.

> But out of curiousity, what direction you think the KDE Community as a
> whole should take?

Honestly I don't have a real opinion on that... as long as there *is* a
direction I'm happy.

I admit I like the privacy one though.

Regards.
--