Applications Lifecycle Policy

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jul 6 06:10:24 BST 2017

Am 2017-07-05 23:29, schrieb David Edmundson:
>> 2. Remove playground
>
> Lots of projects get started and die.
>
> I think it's important to have some flag (however you want to call it)
> that says; CI admins, translators and even packagers should not bother
> looking at this project yet.  Otherwise we waste a lot of people's
> time.
>
> The review process in it's current reality is mostly an extension of
> that, with the people checking those things off.
>
> There is little actual code review, it's mostly CMake and i18n.

You bring up good points! One is: we don't detect when applications die.
We need to improve there.

My answer to the other points is similar to what I already answered to
Luca: we need to establish clear rules.

Our translation team needs to come up with requirements they need
fulfilled so that translations get enabled, you don't just get it.
On the other hand I would say that to release you need translation
setups.

And of course I want that CI covered! E.g. we could run scripty in CI
stage and verify that messages get extracted.

My point basically is the same as the base one: we do the review once.
I'm not saying the steps of the review are not needed, they are super
important. But we don't ensure it afterwards and that's why I think the
current review process is broken.

Cheers
Martin