latest draft for mission (and strategy)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jul 5 22:36:47 BST 2017

On 2017 M07 5, Wed 13:14:19 CEST Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On woensdag 5 juli 2017 12:17:10 CEST Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > IOW, knowing the organization as a whole decided on some sort of direction
> > at least for a while would prompt me into looking beyond my usual comfort
> > zone. By doing that with the two examples above we might see a stronger
> > influx of contributors in the current focus zone ('cause promo) who are
> > more likely to then also look at the other stuff we do ('cause
> > cross-pollination).
>
> Reading through your thoughts, I think we should put privacy into that
> primary focus position. It's a core value for us, something we all agree
> on, and extremely relevant in today's context.
>
> Should we make privacy our main focus for the next 5 years?

Can you elaborate a bit ?
I mean, KDE is not a community focused on privacy.
Privacy is important, but IMO just one of many aspects.

E.g. on the PC desktop, I don't know whether I care that much about KDE and
privacy. I'm using a non-KDE browser, a non-KDE office suite and at work a non-
KDE mail client (at home I use kmail, so I do care about kmail and privacy,
but KDE in general ?).
On the Linux desktop, for "KDE", my personal main issue is not privacy, but
reliability and robustness.
I am now working on a commercial software for the Linux desktop since 8 years,
and during that time I learned that neither my collegues and even less our
customers care about fancy new features in any of the desktop-related
applications, but just that the basic stuff works and doesn't change without
strong need.

OTOH, when thinking about KDE applications on Android, privacy could be a very
strong point. For that we could first make "Android" a focus. IMO there is a
lot to win there for us. Having a consistent set of free software apps
produced by a trusted community (...which would imply respecting privacy)
without ads, etc., would be a "unique selling point".

Still OTOH, for our applications, getting them to work properly on all desktop
platforms could be the focus. I think we have a lot to win there too. So
"cross-platform applications" could also be a focus.

Alex