latest draft for mission (and strategy)

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Jul 5 11:17:17 BST 2017

Hello,

On Tuesday, 4 July 2017 23:20:18 CEST Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 2, 2017, at 03:43 AM, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > I hope for another fate. Because of that, I don't think this is a proper
> > conclusion to the Evolving KDE effort or a proper answer to Paul's talk.
>
> While I think I understand what you're looking for and don't find (yet)
> in the vision/mission, I'm thinking similar to Sebastian (I think ;-)).
>
> For me a grand vision for KDE as a whole is just not all that
> interesting, I'm much more interested in what Plasma,
> Zanshin, KWin, KDevelop, .... are trying to achieve and how they're
> going about that. Perhaps I then also don't care so much in the end
> whether a project is coming from KDE or not, which I personally find
> good, but others may have different opinions.

It's not a question of where it's coming from, it's a question of "does a
project in KDE does better than something dumped on SourceForge/GitHub/<fancy
open forge of the day>?" (by "does better" here I mean in terms of
mean number of committed contributors).

Because if if does not, and everyone thinks along the same lines than you,
then it's a whole lot of wasted effort on the infrastructure and the overall
community maintenance.

> I think it's also much more useful for people to engage with a specific
> project than just having this large unspecific thing that they then have
> to dissect to find something tangible to work on. Speaking of that,
> since the rebranding effort KDE is anyways standing for the community as
> far as I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), and I don't see how we
> can have a vision or mission for a community.

Interestingly it's exactly what got produced. :-)

Visions and missions are generally done for organizations, projects just
happen to be much smaller less complex organizations (often with a time
frame).

> Sooo, perhaps you are just looking for something different than a very
> generic and broad guideline to establish some common values =)

Yes, in part because we already did that with the Manifesto.

Doesn't mean I'm against completing the picture with more words than what was
in the Manifesto. I'm just concerned it was clearly not what we wanted to
achieve when things got in motion more than 3 years ago.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net