Applications Lifecycle Policy

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Wed Jul 5 06:17:07 BST 2017

Il giorno Tue, 04 Jul 2017 23:04:08 +0200
Christian Mollekopf <chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm>
ha scritto:

> * it should be ok to release from playground for years, or even
> potentially forever.

That would impact translations, and IMO it can be easily abused as a
"get out of jail free" card that avoids kdereview.
While I understand the motivations behind it, I don't think it's
feasible. I can however understand going from playground for a
"while".

> should be possible to release from extragear forever. Perhaps some
> project is just not interested in translations for instance...)

From extragear it's already the case. It simply means "project has its
own schedule not tied to Plasma, Applications, or Frameworks".

> * Abolishing the extragear/applications differentiation at this level
> would make more sense to me (extragear does have a second class feel

That would cause a bit of issue wrt releases, since:

a. extragear go on their own releases (see Krita for a big example of
this)
b. Applications releases have predictable, time-based releases which
not all projects would like to subject to