latest draft for mission (and strategy)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Jul 2 19:06:41 BST 2017

Hi Kevin,

On zondag 2 juli 2017 03:43:57 CEST Kevin Ottens wrote:
> In my opinion our answer to "where we want to go" was supposed to be
> something else than "nowhere in particular". Then I think we're falling
> very short on that. We face a problem, and instead of putting our efforts
> to find where to go to solve it, we're been pouring over the years massive
> efforts into describing where we currently are. That's understandable but
> it means we went off track in my opinion. If we stop at what we got so far,
> we're in my opinion falling into a kind of conservatism trap. The community
> will stay put and will keep shrinking as people loose interest and less new
> blood gets in.
>
> I hope for another fate. Because of that, I don't think this is a proper
> conclusion to the Evolving KDE effort or a proper answer to Paul's talk.

Thanks for the very thoughtful and critical reply. A first thought, right
after I read it: We may well have outgrown the phase where we could come to a
shared and clear direction for all of our software and the organisation. In
that light, probably the best we could do is to capture what we have in common
and codify that, this is the Mission as proposed.

I agree with you, however, that it lacks ambition and doesn't tell us where we
want to go in clear words. Finding that direction is a rather contentious
topic, and it lead to great frustration among the people involved. There are a
lot of different agenda's on the table, and very little room for compromise in
the sense of "Okay, *that* is a really good idea and I think it's worthwhile
pursuing, even if it's not why and what I'm working on under the KDE umbrella
right now". I think we already are a more loose organisation than we would
have thought (which can be fine).

On the other hand, the vision effort has lead to a couple of subprojects
thinking more actively about this topic, and coming to more focused
conclusions. Plasma is among those (I'm not naming that because it's the most
shining example, just because it's what I know best), and I think *that* is a
very good thing.

sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org