latest draft for mission (and strategy)

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Thu Jun 22 21:15:20 BST 2017

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:23:55 AM CEST you wrote:> Hi Christian,

> On donderdag 22 juni 2017 00:02:00 CEST Christian Mollekopf wrote:
>
> You are exactly right, these documents are fairly loose and they're not meant
> to be The Law, but give us all a bit more direction. That said, with a
> community as large and diverse as KDE, it can't be overly specific. For that
> reason, we encourage sub-projects in KDE to create a more concrete vision,
> mission and strategy as well. The Krita team has done that some time ago and
> it has brought them a lot more focus and as a result of that focus (and hard
> work!), Krita has become the best in class in their newly found niche (which
> is not meant belittling at all!).

Yeah, I really like the focus and drive the Krita project seems to have,
and in that regard
I think they are an excellent example of how a KDE project could work.

> In Plasma, we've started on the same
> process, we're working on the Plasma vision right now (see the plasma-devel
> mailing list) and we're planning to drill down to more specifics in that
> process. Perhaps, this can be used as a template for other software as well, I
> can imagine that especially in the early stages of development (Hi Kube! :))
> it can deliver great value.

Indeed.

We have tried a while ago to distill something:
* https://kube.kde.org/features.html
* http://kube.readthedocs.io/en/latest/project/#vision-statement

While I think there is a lot of room for improvement, it's an ok start
for us for the time being.

Cheers,
Christian