latest draft for mission (and strategy)

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Tue Jun 13 21:00:02 BST 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> On zondag 11 juni 2017 18:02:56 CEST Albert Vaca wrote:
>> Thanks for putting this together! Some (late and) minor thoughts on wording:
>>
>> I like that we state we want to "integrate well with other Free products to
>> complete the experience". I would explicitly mention "other Free *software*
>> and products", to make clear that we don't want to be a closed ecosystem
>> where KDE software only integrates with other KDE software.
>>
>> I also think that the statement "maintains a diverse and inclusive
>> community" is fundamental in a truly open online community nowadays. I
>> would go further and say "a diverse, inclusive *and safe* community".
>
> I think those are excellent suggestions. The Free products was I think an
> omission, since without software, this doesn't make sense in our context. The
> "safe" is something I really like in there, because it stresses mutual care
> and kindness that we want to exercise. That is something we always values in
> KDE and supported by our actions (CoC being a cornerstone).

re your edit: When reading the initial wording this includes
integration with other Free "things" for me as well. I am specifically
thinking about Marble integrating Wikipedia articles, Kipi plugins
allowing upload to Wikimedia Commons, Amarok integrating with a number
of free music services and so on. Albert wrote it as "other Free
Software and products". I think that captures it a bit better.

Everyone: Thanks a lot for the valuable and constructive input.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors / KDE Community Working Group
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org