KDE licence policy update

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Sat Feb 18 01:43:58 GMT 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 12:37 AM, Luigi Toscano
<luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell ha scritto:
>
>> The main change is for docs and other non-code files to become
>> CC-BY-SA 4.  This allows it to be converted to code (it's one-way
>> compatible with LGPL 3)
> Do you have more details for this? I see contradicting information, it does
> not seem to be totally future proof (even if I hope that we won't see a GPLv4
> before my retirement, but... that would be too much I guess):
> https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/creative-commons-by-sa-4-0-declared-one-way-compatible-with-gnu-gpl-version-3
> (hint about GPLv3 only)
>
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-compatibility.en.html -> "Unfortunately,
> CC-BY-SA 4.0 does not permit relicensing to future GPL versions. What you
> should do, when you relicense material under CC-BY-SA 4.0 to the GPL, is
> specify yourself as a license version proxy to indicate whether future GPL
> versions have been authorized for that material. If someday there is a GPL
> version 4 and Creative Commons decides to allow relicensing from CC-BY-SA to
> GPL version 4, you as proxy will be able to retroactively authorize use of
> that relicensed material under GPL version 4. (Alternatively, you can ask the
> authors of that material to give permission right away.)"

I think that may fall into FLA/FRP territory.

That being said, this seems to need taking to the e.V. to get a new
FRP revision as currently CC isn't even considered an acceptable
license according to the FRP. The FDL however is. Consequently the FLA
would no longer cover documentation under the suggested changes.

https://ev.kde.org/resources/FRP.pdf