Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:51:11 GMT 2017

For my $0.02, any distribution or parent sponsoring KDE development by
becoming a member (€1000/yr for companies, €100/yr for individuals) could
see that commitment met with infrastructure on our end as an optional perk.
This helps justify their financial contributions, and it gives us more
opportunity to help our supporters. Or, if this runs afoul of something (I
don't know the legalities) establish this as a standalone service of some
type.

Supporters fitting this bill could make use of our infrastructure as long
as the distributions/flavors using that infrastructure ship Plasma Shell
and/or KDE applications. In this case Canonical could use KDE infra for
Kubuntu tasks, but not for Ubuntu tasks. In exchange they get a phab
instance, some share space, and we could see what other potential services
we may want to roll in, as feasible and requested. We would also want to
keep services offered this way as "standard", so we don't start making
exceptions. If one distro wants to, say, host ISOs on KDE infra, we need to
be prepared to allow all participating distros to do so - possibly saying
"no, that's not in scope".

The requirement for financial support draws the line for randos claiming
unfair favoritism. While it may initially sound harsh because not everyone
has cold hard cash, for hobbyist distributions without corporate backing I
personally believe €100/yr isn't prohibitive and it's justified in the
sense that it helps pay for the costs of power, bandwidth, and hardware.
Even if those costs are negligible now, in 10 years the costs could be
justified if we have several distros using it, especially if we expand the
offerings over time.

In this case, Canonical is a patron, so Kubuntu, under Canonical, would
fall under this this umbrella.

About the only issue is "what happens if they do not renew their
memberships/patronage?". It's not so nice to suggest that a community
project might need to pull the plug on some people occasionally, but at the
same time if we want to offer good serious services with support, we need
to demand a level of seriousness from those who want it. I love the
attitude of "lets just give it to em and we'll go from there", but I see
doing something like this up-front as just more sustainable and clear-cut...

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 11:13 PM, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com