Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jan 8 16:28:45 GMT 2017

El diumenge, 8 de gener de 2017, a les 0:02:06 CET, Valorie Zimmerman va
escriure:
> I'm writing at the request of the sysadmins, who would like to hear
> from the community about distributions' use of KDE infra.
>
> I'm part of the Kubuntu community and will use it as the example I know
> best.
>
> Kubuntu has some KDE wiki pages, found at
> https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu - for which we are very grateful.
> Ubuntu has a wiki we used to use, but between the awfulness of
> MoinMoin and the spam attacks on it, we love being at home at the KDE
> wikis.

I appreciate MoinMoin is not very nice to use, but sincerely that's something
you should fix in the Ubuntu community, FWIW being a KUbuntu user,
community.kde.org is not where i'd expect to find KUbuntu specific
documentation.

> For some time we've been using notes.kde.org as well, and are planning
> how to use share.kde.org now that notes is closing down. We'll need to
> set up a Kubuntu group so that all Kubuntu team members who need
> access can actually access the shares. One of the advantages of using
> KDE infra over piratepad or so, is that we can add a password if
> necessary, and share among other KDE packagers if necessary.
>
> We are also interested in having a Phab instance for Kubuntu mostly
> for the todo/workboard. Right now, we're using Trello, but would
> prefer to use Free software if possible. And the beauty of Phabricator
> is that we can keep more of our "stuff" in one place. For instance, it
> includes a wiki as well, which we might use for packaging
> documentation. Very slick to have all our packaging stuff in one
> place.
>
> However, the sysadmins would like the KDE community support for this,
> since it could be seen as a "slippery slope." In addition, Ben
> Cooksley said, "we'll need to come up with some guidelines surrounding
> what distributions can ask us for, given the Manifesto / KDE Project
> rules.
>
> I would love to see more KDE distros getting cozy with the KDE
> community because I don't like to see fighting between packagers and
> developers, and communication is key.
>
> Our Manifesto [1] says: Being part of the international KDE community
> conveys certain benefits: ....Make use of KDE infrastructure for
> project hosting. I've noticed that some KDE projects do not use KDE
> infra, such as bugzilla, websites, and even mail lists. I thought the
> rule was that all KDE projects would move to KDE infra, so this
> surprised me.

Well things don't happen automagically, for every such case you find of KDE
projects not using the KDE infrastructure try to get them to fix it.

> On the other hand, groups which are associated with the community but
> will never be "KDE projects" such as KDE distros,

It you're not a "KDE project" you're not a "KDE distro".

KUbuntu is not a KDE distro, it's an Ubuntu distribution that ships KDE
software, KDE has no control over it, so calling it a KDE distro is in my
opinion misleading.

> are not mentioned in
> the Manifesto. We do already host the KDE Packagers list [2], and
> Distributions list [3] which supports the Distribution Outreach
> Program [4].
>
> What do you say? Obviously we want to support KDE distributions. Where
> do we draw the line?

For me, the line is "you should use your project infrastructure".

Since we're nice people, i would expand the line to "if your project
infrastructure is not good you can use ours for KDE related stuff if that
gives us no overhead"

i.e you can use wikis/paste.kde.org/notes.kde.org because they're already
free-edit (for any identity holder that is basically anyone) but you can't ask
for the creation of speacial bugzilla components or the setup of some
infrastructure specifically for your needs or (if we had one) use our voting
infrastructure for the vote on who will be your leader.

Cheers,
  Albert