Changes to the bugzilla workflow: 2 proposals

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Dec 12 11:32:42 GMT 2016

Am 2016-12-12 11:55, schrieb Luigi Toscano:
> On Monday, 12 December 2016 03:51:31 CET Nicolás Alvarez wrote:

>> > What does it mean to the state of "Open" bugs? What I like about the
>> > RESOLVED NEEDSINFO is that it hides the bugs from my search lists. If the
>> > bugs would still be shown, it would completely destroy the search for me
>> > (KWin currently gets 1-3 crash reports by Arch users per day).
>> I think you would be able to change your searches to take "doesn't
>> have a
>> 'needsinfo' flag" into account.
>
> Exactly. You would need only a one-time change to your saved
> search(es).

No, that would affect more. For example when looking for a bug report I
go to bugs.kde.org, Browse, kwin, component and then have a very small
list of the bugs for that component and can find the bug report.

If all the nonsentical needsinfo bugs get in there and are not hidden by
default, it gets completely useless.

Also I don't want to be at 1000 open bug reports in a year. Consider the
social impact of that if weekly-bug-summary stats include those bugs.

Please note that in case of KWin a needsinfo means we never hear back in
99 out of 100 cases and as I mentioned before we get several of those
per day. My bug workflow is completely focused only on marking bugs as
needsinfo. Yes, it's broken and yes for a high profile product like KWin
it's even worse.

So any change of the process must ensure that we are not swamped in
useless bug reports destroying all the default views and stats bugzilla
provides.

Overall from what I read in this thread so far about it, I'm quite
against this change. For me the focus is on getting those bugs away as I
know that we won't get the backtrace. Try asking Arch users for a
backtrace...

Cheers
Martin