New maintainer wanted: Spectacle

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 11:29:04 GMT 2016

Hi all,

Spectacle was my entry into the KDE Community. I built it with a lot
of love and care, with the ultimate goal of there being a modern
screenshooting app for both X11 and Wayland. It appears that with the
Applications 16.12 release - which comes exactly a year after its
first release in 15.12 - this goal will be fulfilled.

Since I started out with Spectacle I've also become involved in other
parts of KDE, including sysadmin - which takes up almost all my free
time. Over the last year more code has been committed by others to
Spectacle's repo than by me. I gave this quite a bit of thought, and I
think it's best if I don't hold things up anymore and let others take
the app forward at their own pace.

I'm therefore putting Spectacle up for adoption.

The new maintainer can take over master right now. I'll keep
maintaining the 16.12 stable branch until its EOL.

Note that it's tradition for each major release of Spectacle to have a
codename. It's generally either a culture ship name (the things Elon
Musk's Falcon-catching drone ships are named after), or something made
up that sounds like a culture ship name. I haven't updated the name
for the 13.04 release, so if the new maintainer wants to assign one,
go for it.

-- Boudhayan