KDE Licensing Policy Updates

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Sep 20 20:19:26 BST 2016

On 20.09.2016 19:52, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
>> Added:
>> ''Applications which are intended to be run on a server'' can be
>> licenced under the GNU AGPL 3.0 or later
>> Rationale: KDE Store code is under AGPL
>> Question: should this be an option or a requirement for server software?
> I agree with this change, but I think it should remain an option.

I would support making it mandatory, actually, or at least recommended, because
for an end user a web service based on GPL software is no better than one based
on proprietary software, because they cannot tell what software it is they're
interacting with. Therefore, the AGPL closes an important hole in FOSS web services.

I don't feel very strongly about this, but to me it would make sense to at least
recommend AGPL for web software we produce.