KDE Licensing Policy Updates

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Tue Sep 20 18:11:10 BST 2016

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 18:04:47 CEST Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> It's time for a new updates to the KDE Licensing Policy
>
> [...]
> Added:
> "Content on collaborative edited websites such as wikis must be
> licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0
> International."
> Rationale: we have no policy for wikis but they are very important to
> us especially with wikitoLearn so we should add one.  Our wikis are
> currently CC 3.0+FDL but we should consider moving to CC 4.0 (CC
> includes an or later so there's no difficultly in doing this).  FDL is
> unmaintained and not much used so we can drop this.

I disagree with "little used". What does it mean "unmaintained"? Is the MIT
license maintained?
I still would keep the dual license. Coming back later can be complicated if
impossible.

> Changed:
> "Documentation must be licensed under the Creative Commons
> Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 International"
> Rationale: Currently we use GNU FDL but that licence is unmaintained,
> little used, problematic due to association with non-free options and
> incompatible with the GPL.  CC-BY-SA 4 is one way compatible with the
> GPL (code can be copied from docs to GPL code).  So I suggest moving
> new docs to CC.

See above. That would make mixing content really complicated, especially when
we move from wiki to other formats or vice-versa. So same license in both
(dual at most).

--
Luigi