Mentoring, student programs coming up

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:13:07 BST 2016

Hi folks, I have no announcements, but was thinking about our Season
of KDE and how we can enlarge and improve it. I believe we've been
thinking of it too much like GSoC, when it can be so much more.

For instance, I've seen a few announcements from maintainers wanting
to step back from a large piece of code for which they have been
responsibie. Sometimes seasoned developers step up, but what happens
when they don't? We don't have to settle for abandoned code, or
burning out maintainers. How about writing up a good description of
what is required, and offering to mentor a new maintainer for a few
months?

We all know that we have some large projects that need doing
(www.kde.org for instance) that have been too challenging to get done
so far. How about offering to mentor a specific part of such a task?
In SoK, we've never had a rule that the task had to be handled by one
person -- it could be a small team, so keep that in mind. Mentors can
act as a team, as well.

Think of all the work that Scarlett has done building the CI with the
help of Ben and the sysadmin team. Has that helped almost every KDE
developer? I think so!

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Please think of
work you can mentor which will involve your mentee (SoK mentees do
*not* have to be students) more deeply in KDE and making the world
better.

If you are not subscribed to KDE-Soc-Mentor [1], please subscribe and
discuss your ideas.

Oh, and GCi [2] is happening this fall, so if you have a number of
small tasks, please start writing those up.

Valorie

2. https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/

--
http://about.me/valoriez