Upcoming changes to out version control infrastructure

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Sat Aug 6 10:41:48 BST 2016

Hi all,

As you may have heard (from us complaining loudly on IRC channels), our Git
based version control infrastructure is becoming too hard to handle for our
small sysadmin team.

After much internal deliberations, we've decided to go back to the basics,
and completely switch out our entire Git-based version control
infrastructure to one based around the tried and proven SCCS. SCCS is a
veteran of the source code control industry, and brings to the table such
advanced features as encoding the revision of a file into the compiled
binary, making it possible to pinpoint the exact revision of the source the
binary was built from.

Also, having a single monolithic code repository to handle makes the
sysadmin's task of managing repositories much easier.

Given that this will be a signficant change to many of your workflows, we
beleive we should be announcing this plan as far ahead as possible. We have
tentatively planned for the migration to happen on the first Saturday of
April, next year. That gives the community around 8 months to become
familar with a behemoth of this industry.

Thanks,
Boudhayan Gupta
KDE Sysadmin