[kde-community] KDE Sysadmin and GPG Encryption

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Tue Jul 26 15:28:59 BST 2016

Hey,

> I strongly disagree with this. While it is complicated in Ben's case, we had
> GPG signing party at the past Akademy and we can rebuild the web of trust.
> Debian works like this. We can have one at the QtCon (with also people from
> other communities including FSFE). So *signing* the announcement emails
> should not be discouraged like it is in this email.

+1

For me DKIM is another layer of security. GPG encryption doesn't help anything
is order of verifiing it, that is correct. But I think all others mean GPG
signatures. GPG Signatures are created at the sending computer, so with a GPG
signed mail I can be sure, that the mail was not touched my anyone. DKIM
starts with the first mailserver that supports DKIM. Nobody guarantees, that
the senders mailserver is trustworthy.

@Boudhayan: Only with this this longer explainations I can understand, that
the mail shouldn't be tampered in between. But keep in mind that every
mailserver and send a mail with a fake sender mailadress and have valid DKIM.
So you would also need to verify SPF/SRS...

In the end GPG signatures would help, because they can also been used as TOFU
(trust on first use). I trust the gpg keys I get first for a mailadress,
together with the informations, that I know, that you used your key multiple
times for sending and never complains, that the key is wrong gives also a
strong security. With a key signing party we can raise the security level
additionally.

regards,

sandro