[kde-community] Randa Meetings fundraising - please spread

Sandro Andrade sandroandrade at kde.org
Thu Jul 7 17:39:27 BST 2016

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 4:26 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org>
wrote:

> Hi Sandro,
>
> going to the fundraiser website, I noticed that it is out of date:
>
> It still talks about Randa 2016 being in the future. Shouldn't it be
> updated,
>
> and instead of talking about what we _will_ do there, talk about what _has
> been done_
>
> there, and than changing the message to "If you want us to be able to
> continue doing
>
> such great things, please donate to fund future meetings."

Thanks for reporting, I've now updated the webpage.

> It's not much of a surprise to me that a campaign focused on funding a
> specific
>
> meeting loses drive after that specific meeting is over. The meeting
> happened, so
>
> obviously we had enough money to do it, now why donate more for it?
>
> If we want the fundraiser to still be engaging, we have to change the
> message.

While I agree this may demotivate some donors, I'm quite conviced the
reason for not
reaching the goal isn't the one you pointed out. We've run the campaign
before Randa
dates in last years and we always experience the same fast "audience drain"
effect, for
a number of reasons I'd be happy to discuss afterwards.

Cheers,
Sandro